Nepal is a diverse country with a natural blend of nature and culture. It is home to majestic Himalayan peaks and lush forested lowlands. Due to its natural beauty and various geographical location, Nepal attracts numerous tourists.
Also, travelers visiting Nepal have several reasons. Some come for a relaxing vacation, some for adventures, and some are here for spiritual awakening, from mighty snowclad mountains, fast-flowing rivers, wildlife diversity, beautiful landscapes, impressive waterfalls, and cultural landmarks.
Apart from these attractive landmarks, Nepal provides a moderate temperature perfect for travel and adventure. Nepal is one of the top destinations for adventure, spiritual awakening, and relaxing experiences.
Must-Visit Destinations When You Are In Nepal
Nepal has it all, whether for a relaxing journey, a spiritual vacation in the urban areas, or even thrill-seeking activities in remote areas. There are many famous destinations that one can explore and start their journey.
Kathmandu, The Capital City
Kathmandu’s capital city is the first and most vibrant destination for anyone traveling to Nepal. This city has been the epicenter of a tourist attraction with many authentic experiences, a lively atmosphere, and chaotic streets.
Even today, Kathmandu possesses several ancient remains for those interested in the country’s diverse culture and long history. Besides it, there are also numerous opportunities for adventures and thrill-seeking activities.
In addition, the city alone has four out of ten UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Also, as the country’s central city, multiple transportation facilities can get you around the city, such as a cab, personal vehicles, local or tourist buses, and so on.
Moving on, there are also many accommodation places just here. In Kathmandu, Thamel is the central hub for travelers and tourists. Also, you will find several staying options ranging from budget hotels to hostels, from luxury accommodations to homestays.
What To Do In Kathmandu?
Kathmandu is a city filled with fun, day and night. If you are looking for some sites to explore, some places are as follows.
- Narayanhiti Museum
- Swayabhunath Stupa
- Pashupatinath Temple
- Boudhanath Stupa
- Dakshinkali Temple
- Guhyeshwari Temple
- Kathesimbhu Stupa
- Kopan Monastery
- Chabahil Stupa
- Jagannath Temple
Apart from sightseeing, you can also go for some adventures around the valley. It includes hiking and even rock climbing. Some of such locations are listed.
- Hattiban and Shivapuri National Park for rock climbing
- Kakani Hike
- Champadevi Hike
- Nagarkot Hike
- Phulchowki Hike
- Namobudhha Hike
Pokhara, The City Of Lakes
This city is a paradise for travel enthusiasts as it checks every relevant box, from breathtaking scenes to adventure-filled journeys. You can visit this destination for an experience of a lifetime. It is the second largest city after Kathmandu and is filled with multiple lakes.
It is a perfect spot to recharge your battery with a bit of vacation. You can sit by the famous Phewa Lake and enjoy your days at the spa, hotels, cafe, and more. You can also jump to catch the mesmerizing beauty of the city while boating.
Apart from the chill activities, you can also spice up your holidays with a little thrill. Pokhara is an outdoor paradise with activities like paragliding, trekking, and rafting in the surrounding areas.
What To Do In Pokhara?
Pokhara is the gateway for most of the adventure-filled journeys in Nepal. It is also the center for several fun activities and relaxing vacations in the laps of mesmerizing natural beauty.
Below are the places you must visit for diverse sightseeing and adventure.
- World Peace Pagoda
- Davis Fall
- Gupteswor Mahadev Cave
- Barahi Temple
- Bindhyabasini Temple
- Mahendra and Bat Cave
- Begnas And Rupa Lake
Some of the significant activities to try while in Pokhara are listed below.
- Paragliding from Sarangkot
- Biking to explore the villages
- Ultra-Light Flight from an altitude of about 4,000 meters
- Trekking routes (Annapurna Circuit Trek, Mardi Himal Trek, Panchase Trek, Dhampus Trek, Poon Hill Trek, and many more)
- Boat in the Phewa Lake
- Bungee Jump and ziplining
- Yoga and meditation
Undoubtedly, the Everest region is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. It hosts six of the most beautiful districts in Nepal: Khotang, Okhaldhunga, Saptari, Siraha, Solukhumbu, and Udayapur.
Here, Solukhumbhu is the home to the world’s highest mountain, Sagarmatha (aka Mount Everest), standing at 8848 meters. This region also holds several mighty snowclad mountains, such as Mt Lhotse, Ama Dablam, Mt Nuptse, and many others.
In addition to it, the mountain region is known for its serene beauty, crystal glacial lakes, rugged terrains, and many traditional villages.
What To Do In Everest Region?
While in the Everest region, sightseeing at the world’s highest mountain and trekking around is the primary activity. However, there are also numerous places that you must take advantage of here.
- Explore the Namche Bazaar (Sherpa’s Capital)
- Visit Everest View Hotel at 3962.4 meters (13000 feet)
- Visit Khumjung and Khune Villages
- Visit Kala Pathhar at an elevation of 5545 meters
- Explore Sherpa Cultural Museum
- Explore the UNESCO-Listed Sagarmatha National Park
- Witness Tengboche Monastery – The Largest Monastery in the Khumbu Region
Moving on, below are some of the activities you must attend while you are in the Everest region.
- Yak Safaris
- Mountain Climbing
- Hiking And Trekking
- Gondola Rides
- Mountain biking
It is one of Nepal’s ancient and traditional valleys that stands at an elevation of 3,840 meters. This region provides challenging yet beautiful sceneries divided into two parts- Upper Mustang and Lower Mustang.
This particular valley is famous as a travel destination suitable for all age ranges and families. Well, this valley is surrounded by Annapurna and Nilgiri mountain ranges. Among its two divisions, the Upper Mustang is often known for its challenging adventures and thrills, while the Lower Mustang is best known for its natural scenery and sightseeing.
What To Do In Mustang?
During your vacation in this valley, take advantage of visiting the places mentioned below.
- Marpha, the town of apple orchids
- Chhairo Gompa
- Dhumba Lake
- Ghar Gompa
- Lo Manthang
- Chungsi cave near Syangbochen village
Likewise, some major activities to cherish and experience in Mustang are as follows.
- Trekking and hiking
- Vehicle tours
- Horse riding
- Bike riding
- Go fossil hunting in the Kali Gandaki river
Lying in the Terai belt of Nepal, Chitwan is known for its warm temperature. Similarly to it, it is also uniquely famous for the diverse wildlife it supports here. Most travelers visit this region for its ecological diversity and life forms.
Chitwan is also popularly known as the jewel of Nepal and is listed in the UNESCO world heritage sites. It provides a relaxing tour through lust forests and a lifetime experience traveling in the vicinity of wild animals.
What To Do In Chitwan?
Chitwan is an adventure-packed city with loads of activities and tours. Some of the must-visit locations inside this valley are as below.
- Jalbire Waterfall (Lamo Jharana)
- Rani Pokhari
- Bishazari Taal (20 Thousand Lakes)
- Chiraichuli Hill
- Narayani River
- Elephant Breeding Center
- Chitwan National Park
Among numerous places to go, Chitwan is also filled with fun activities. These activities are mentioned down.
- Elephant Ride / Safari
- Bath with elephant
- Jungle walk
- Canoeing at Rapti river
- Jeep drive safari
- Bird watching
- Tharu Village Tour
- Ox cart riding
- River rafting
Other Destinations In Nepal For Travel Enthusiasts
Nepal depicts never-ending fun and thrilling activities for travelers. Almost every destination around Nepal has a unique experience and adventure to offer. Below are some of teh other destinations to visit and explore in Nepal.
Travel Facts And Culture Shocks To Know Before Traveling to Nepal
- It is a necessity to have a visa to enter Nepal. Visas-on-arrival is available.
- Nepali is the national language of Nepal and is spoken everywhere. You will find several English-speaking people in the city areas. However, finding such people in remote locations will be pretty rare.
- The local currency is the Nepalese Rupee (NPR). You can exchange the money at banks and exchange bureaus in the major parts of the cities. However, you should know that there will be a certain amount of service charge.
- It is best always to carry enough cash as ATMs and credit card facilities are unavailable in remote areas.
- If you are going for a trekking tour, it is crucial to have a trekking permit. You can get it from the Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu or Pokhara.
- Do not use or carry illegal drugs. The penalty for them is pretty high, even for a bit of possession.
- Avoid public displays of affection, as people here are pretty conservative.
- Always take photos with permission only.
- Before traveling, make sure you have signed up for travel insurance. This helps you to get medical assistance when needed.
- Above 2,500 meters, altitude sickness is a risk for everyone, even if you are physically fit. Hence, always check out for symptoms and keep yourself hydrated.
- Keep your belongings close to yourself while traveling, as petty theft is sometimes expected.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nepal is a popular tourist destination for its natural beauty and rich cultural heritage. It is famous for being the home of Mount Everest, the tallest mountain in the world, and the Himalayas, which attract mountain climbers and trekkers. Nepal is also known for its historical and religious monuments, temples, and festivals, showcasing its unique blend of Hindu and Buddhist cultures. Adventure tourism, such as rafting and bungee jumping, is also popular in Nepal.
Nepal can be considered a budget-friendly destination for travelers. The cost of living is relatively low, with affordable food, transportation, and accommodation options. However, the cost can vary depending on the travel experience you are looking for, such as luxury or adventure travel, and the time of year you visit. Overall, Nepal offers excellent value for money, making it a popular destination for budget-conscious travelers.