When it calls for a thrill-seeking adventure in Nepal, the zipline in Pokhara is something not to be missed during your visit here. It gives you the vibe of flying through the sky that will maximize your adrenaline, excitement, and enjoyment like never before. Indeed, sliding on a zipline is not a dangerous sport but a thrilling experience with a bird’s eye view.
Hence, if you are up to testing your spirit, enjoy your moment of insanity and the sensation of freedom from a different height level. Again, if you look at it in a specific way, the current adrenaline rush we get from ziplining is no less than the dangerous ropeways (Tuins) used as means of transportation back in the day.
The story dates back to our history of not having enough bridges to cross the river. During those times, people had to depend on generic wire bridges. Slowly, they were replaced with cables, and now seeing the adventure sport, zipline, brings a similar idea.
In recent years, zipline has gained popularity, and you can find many trails for it just inside Nepal. Also, the lush green hills, gorgeous mountains, and fast-flowing rivers promote this adventure. Among several zipline spots, the one in Sarangkot, Pokhara, is known to be the country’s very first high wire escapade.
Zipline in Sarangkot, Pokhara
A small village in one of the beautiful hills of Pokhara, Sarangkot boasts of having one of the world’s longest, fastest, and steepest ziplines. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations. Then, it provides you with breathtaking views of the Himalayas as you zip line over the green forest.
This ziplining destination is just 11.4 km far from Lakeside, Pokhara. Additionally, it stands at a height of 5,400 feet above sea level. Likewise, its ending point is at Hemja. You will be welcomed with a 1.8 km long and 600-meter vertical drop when you reach there. Indeed, you can call this spot the sports haven in Pokhara as Sarangkot is a famous place for sightseeing.
Coming back to history, this zipline located here is run by the only zipline company here, High Ground Adventure Pvt. Ltd. As the very first company to introduce ziplining in Nepal, it has been successful in the business since 2014. Suppose you want to learn about this company in detail. In that case, the High Ground Adventure also indulges itself in other thrilling activities such as paragliding, hot air balloon ride, and many more.
The zipline located in Sarangkot inclines at 56 degrees. That is why this zipline is the steepest zipline trail ever. This zipline is indeed the most vertical, the highest, but the longest. Well, it was the longest in the world until the new Jebel Jais Flight was introduced in Ras Al Khaimah, located in UAE. That zipline came into the business in February 2018.
How To Reach To Sarangkot Zipline From Kathmandu?
As soon as you reach Pokhara, it is a must to try ziplining in Sarangkot to quench your thirst for adventure and thrill. Indeed, this destination is heaven for all travelers who are up for the sheer adrenaline rush. As good news, this ziplining spot does not take more than a twenty minutes ride from the center of Pokhara. However, the ride and road are sure bumpy.
After the short ride from the Lakeside, you will find yourself in Sarangkot. From here on, you will need a short walk to reach the Butterfly Pavillion. It is located near the paragliding destination, and this area is somewhat isolated at the top of the hill.
Hence, the only sound you will be surrounded with is the rustling of the leaves and the working of its machine. Not to mention the majestic view that you will be covered with. Apart from it, Sarangkot is famous for its sunrise and sunset point. Therefore, you will be able to soak in the scenery of the beautiful peaks such as Mt. Machhapuchhare, Mt. Annapurna, and Mt. Makalu.
Additionally, you will be standing on top of the green hill and terraced paddy fields. You may also go around the Butterfly Collapsible Shelter as you admire nature. Back there, you will get a crystal clear view of Pokhara city, Dhampus village, and Naudada village.
Adventure Starts Here
Amidst the gorgeous beauty of nature, you will be harnessed and securely placed on your seat for the ride. Before you start with this thrilling experience, your guide will provide a few points of description for your comfort and safety. After that, you will be flying from the height of 5400 ft. above sea level.
During this tenure, your wide will accompany the raging Seti River throughout your journey. Furthermore, this ride usually lasts from about two to three minutes. Not to mention, you will be sliding down the zipline at a speed of 90 miles per hour above the great expanse of the dense forest. Alongside the panoramic view of Pokhara, you will also be able to taste the breeze. After the exhilarating experience in the air, the adventure stops at the endpoint of the village of Hemja at the height of 960 meters.
Key Information On Zip Lining
Zip lining is one of the safest yet most exciting adventure sports in the arena; zip lining is a good start for anyone looking for both thrills and comfort. Indeed, this activity is an excellent way to test your courage and beat any of your untold doubts. This gigantic zip line system was designed by Zip-flyer TM LLC, the USA, using advanced technologies.
If you are all ready to try this adventure on your bucket list, you should be age fourteen and above to participate in this activity. Well, if you are below seventeen, then you will need to have your parents’ consent. Not only this but parents or a guardian should also accompany them.
Furthermore, you also must be between the weight of 40 kg to 120 kg. Not to mention, any pregnant ladies or any individual with any injury will be unable to take part in the activity. Also, the speed of your zipline depends on your weight as well.
Also, for a piece of basic information, the zipline activity is available throughout the year. However, the best times of the day to enjoy this adventure are between 8 am, and 11 am. Well, morning is the best time for this adventure because the skies are crystal clear and offer high visibility.
Not to mention, spring or autumn is also the best time of the year for ziplining. They usually fall around March to May and September to November.
Safety Rules While Ziplining
- While ziplining, always lean back and keep your feet apart. Though it is a rare occurrence; however at times, you might stop and get stuck.
- You should pull the left cord hard to go faster if your ride slows.
- At the end of the zipline, you will find an abrupt ending. Hence, if you aren’t cautious, you might bite your tongue. In addition to that, do not stick out your tongue during the ride.
- Moving on to the end of the ride, you will find a person waiting to receive you. If that person waves you a white flag, it indicates you are going too fast. For this, you should pull the right cord hard to slow down.
Price Of Ziplining In Sarangkot, Pokhara
Experiencing the thrill and adventure of this ziplining activity will cost you USD 82 per person. The combo ride with videos on the go will cost you USD 140 per person.
Apart from the zip line adventure in Sarangkot, you can also experience this activity at many other destinations. Some of the top locations include Dhulikhel Zipline, Kavre (Gadhi Zipline), Makawanpur, Devisthan Zipline, Bhedetar Dharan (Harness Zipline), Kusma, Trishuli Riverside Resort, Kurintar, Yoyo Zipline, Ghyampe Danda Bhaktapur (Chandragiri Zipline), Chandragiri Hills (Darbar Adventure Zipline), Nuwakot and Times Resort in Dhading.
Tips For Ziplining Adventure
- Do not consume any alcohol before your ride. Additionally, it would be of great help if you also avoided overeating before this adventure.
- Inform your guides if you have any health impairments before you take the ride. People with the mentioned health cases, such as asthma or any respiratory disorders, high blood pressure, heart disease, and epilepsy, are not allowed to partake in this adventure.
- While ziplining, do not jump off the platform until you’re instructed to do so. In addition to it, always pay attention to safety briefings.
- Furthermore, you should always wear closed-toed shoes. This is because you do not want your shoes flying over the forest if you are wearing flip-flops.
- Make sure you are always wearing comfortable clothes. You can wear gym clothes or otherwise breathable, loose clothing for the day.
- Never take any expensive items, jewelry, and gadgets during your ride. Also, empty your pocket before you jump on the ride. Well, you do not want any of your stuff falling into the dense forest.
- Yes, you can take your camera and try for selfies. However, we do not recommend this activity as it is not practically safe. Additionally, your camera might fall, and you will have to take full responsibility for it. But if you want a picture, we also provide that facility.
- Always wear sunscreen; it will always come in handy if you have a bug repellent. You may encounter some bugs and intense rays of sunshine, so lather up the protective sprays.