Over recent years, traveling has not only been on the topic of adventure and insta-perfect thrills. But it has developed to become a more comprehensive term for sustainability and responsibility. Indeed, the events everyone has globally faced have forced all travelers and adventure seekers to travel responsibly without causing further harm to the environment.
As a result, everyone has inclined more toward the ecotourism side as they try their best to conserve the environment and the well-being of the locals in the area. Similar to travelers, destinations worldwide have also switched to sustainable tourism by limiting the number of visitors, building non-invasive paths, and many more.
Hence, if you are looking forward to traveling, we are here to help you hatch some of the best plans. We provide you with breathtaking destinations that have started their journey to sustainable tourism, where you can reduce your travel footprint. Here, the journey is not any less thrilling as you can swim with sharks, climb the roughest trekking trails, try snorkeling, and so on.
Top Ten Best Ecotourism Destinations Around The Globe
You are traveling to ecotourism destinations does not mean you will not be able to experience the most out of the journey ahead. It implies that you will travel to the exact destination while being one among the rich locations without disrupting the nature around you.
Indeed, it gives you the best experience you will have in your life while being a step closer to the location itself. Below are the top ten such sites to have on your bucket list.
It is one of the wealthiest destinations with the highest number of endangered and threatened native plant and animal species of any place on the planet. Not to mention, they are pretty famous for their complex ecosystem, hiking trails, extensive coral reefs, and epic waterfalls. Indeed, the dream destination of every traveler!
As a fun fact, all the locals of Hawaii run with the motto “mālama ʻāina,” which means to care for the land, and “malama ke kai,” which means to care for the ocean. Below are some eco-friendly activities you can enjoy while in Hawaii.
- Snorkeling at the Molokini Crater.
- Explore the Hakalau Forest Wildlife Nature Reserve.
- Explore the Hawaii Volcanoes, National Park.
- Go on a coffee plantation tour.
- Enjoy the Atlantis Submarine.
- Visit the Kula Botanical Garden and the lavender field at Upcountry Maui.
- Visit Purdy’s Natural Macadamia Nut Farm.
- Go whale watching off Oʻahu’s southern coast.
Australia has almost eight million square kilometers of wilderness that travelers can jump to explore. Among many of the natural wonders within this nation, the Great Barrier Reef is one of the greatest wonders, as it is the world’s most extensive coral reef system.
Well, this nation is composed of nearly 3,000 reefs and 900 islands. Not to mention, this area also covers and supports a 133,000-sq mile ecosystem of marine life. Additionally, you will see varieties of wildlife with some of the must-have adventures in Australia. Below are some activities you might want to attend during the journey.
- Explore the aboriginal culture at Kakadu National Park.
- Hike along the trails in Daintree rainforests.
- Explore Fraser island.
- Visit the Great Barrier Reef.
- Visit the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park.
- Swim with sharks in Port Lincoln.
- Experience the Penguin Parade on Philip Island.
- Walk through the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area.
- Visit Kangaroo island.
One of the most beautiful destinations in the world, the Philippines has over 7,000 islands to explore, with fascinating wildlife and colorful seascapes. Some of the beautiful natural sites in this destination include the islands, waterfalls, mountains, jungles, lagoons, and many more.
Furthermore, the journey is unique here with its customs and traditions. Below are some of the activities you can enjoy while traveling responsibly.
- Explore the 1,600-hectare conservation area of the Masungi Georeserve.
- Dive into the underwater landscape of the Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park.
- Explore the boating ride in the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park.
- Sit back and relax at Malapascua island.
- Visit the underwater paradise in Cuatro Islas Protected Landscape & Seascape.
- Walk through Mount Apo Natural Park.
- Explore the Mount Hamiguitan Range Wildlife Sanctuary.
With vast plains and a dusty stampede, Kenya is one of the world’s wonders, where wildlife thrives and roams in freedom. As we start with the fun fact, Kenya is home to 55 national parks, reserves, and sanctuaries open to the public. Furthermore, Kenya is also the hotpot for safaris.
Kenya portrays the world’s strictest ban on single-use plastic bags to save wildlife and natural biodiversity. Indeed, ecotourism is highly important to Kenya, and almost every camp and lodge in the nation work to protect it. Some activities you must venture into while in Kenya are mentioned below.
- Go for a safari in the Great Rift Valley.
- Enjoy horseback or safari in Chyulu Hills.
- Explore that land of Maasai Mara.
- Visit the Meru National Park.
Yet a small nation, Nepal is blessed with natural landscapes and beauty. Home to most of the tallest mountains in the world, Nepal is initially known for the Himalayas. Apart from it, this nation also portrays some of the only things in the world, such as the most profound valley ever.
Additionally, Nepal is one of the top destinations for trekking trails and other adventure seekers. Below are some of the activities you must try while on a journey.
- Trek across the Himalayas.
- Wildlife safaris in national parks and conservation areas.
- Paragliding in Pokhara.
- Bungee jump in Bhote Koshi Gorge.
- Visit the birthplace of Lord Budhha in Lumbini.
Comprising over 17,000 islands, Indonesia is a paradise on Earth with fascinating cultures, mesmerizing underwater ecosystems, and a fantastic variety of landscapes. Well, yes, this nation provides one of the most relaxing holiday vacations.
If you are looking forward to traveling in this country as a responsible traveler, below are some of the activities you must dive into.
- Observe the wildlife at West Bali National Park or “Taman Nasional Bali Barat.”
- Explore the Wae Rebo Village, Flores.
- Dive at Raja Ampat.
- Visit Krakatoa island.
- Experience the natural beauty of the Bangka Belitung Islands.
- Discover Sumba island.
Lying between two continents and oceans, Panama is an enchanted destination rich in colors and natural biodiversity. This extraordinary land is known for its rainforests, rivers, mountains, and many more. Panama is an excellent choice for any adventure seeker looking forward to traveling in isolation.
Apart from it, Panama offers excellent food, beaches, and museums and is also home to some thrilling activities. While you are here, take advantage of some of the activities listed below.
- Go surfing in Playa Venao (Venao Beach).
- Visit the highest point in the state of Panama, Volcan Baru National Park.
- Explore the underwater world of the Bocas del Toro Archipelago.
- Meet the indigenous Embera tribe.
- Visit the oldest national park in Panama, El parque nacional Altos de Campana.
It is the world’s best ecotourism destination with boastful natural biodiversity. They depict 26 National Parks, 58 wildlife refuges, 32 protected zones, 15 wetland areas, 11 forest reserves, and eight biological reserves. Altogether, they have devoted 26% of their total land to such protected areas.
Not to mention, it is also one of the first countries to promote responsible travel and is also the first carbon-neutral country. While in Costa Rica, below are some activities you would want to take advantage of.
- Explore organic farms.
- Zipline through the dense forests.
- Go whale watching in Costa Rican waters.
- Enjoy volcano hopping.
- Visit the coffee plantation area.
- Take a chocolate tour.
- Scuba dive on Caño Island.
- Enjoy the hot springs.
Famous for its dense jungles, lush rainforests, and white sandy beaches, Colombia is a breathtaking country. They are rich in biodiversity as the nation is filled with rare birds and animals. Indeed, the possibilities for any adventure traveler are endless here.
Additionally, Colombia has the highest biodiversity on the planet after Brazil. Hence, it is often considered a hidden gem for eco- and nature tourism. Below are some of the activities you can enjoy while visiting here.
- Explore the unusual ecosystems at Chingaza National Park.
- Experience the Humpback whales’ life at Utría National Park.
- Dive into the marine life at Malpelo Flora and Fauna Sanctuary.
- Visit the world’s most beautiful river at Meta’s Serranía de la Macarena National Park.
- Go surfing on the Caribbean Coast.
- Explore the Tatacoa Desert.
- Go kayaking or fly-boarding at Guatapé Lake.
- Visit the indigenous Nariño people’s sacred lakes.
Indeed, Brazil is quite blessed regarding rare species of flora, fauna, and diverse landscapes. It is home to ancient forests like the Amazon, the great Pantanal floodplain, and the spectacular Iguaçu waterfalls.
In addition to it, Brazil gives you a unique, stimulating experience when it comes to its nature and adventure. Altogether, below are the top activities not to miss during your stay in Brazil.
- Visit the plateaus, mountain ranges, caves, and underground lakes at Serra do Roncador, Mato Grosso.
- Enjoy activities such as rafting, kayaking, aqua riding, zip lining, and so on at Presidente Figueiredo, Amazonas.
- Explore the Parque Nacional do Pau Brasil.
- Go for rafting and canoeing practices in Três Coroas, Rio Grande do Sul.
- Enjoy horse riding at Monte Verde, Minas Gerais.
Frequently Asked Questions
According to the current definition of ecotourism, it is “responsible travel to natural places that preserves the environment, sustains the well-being of the local people, and involves interpretation and teaching” (TIES, 2015). The goal of education is to include both workers and visitors.
Harmony with the environment, minimizing the use of fossil fuels, conserving local plants and wildlife, and blending with the natural and cultural environment are the principles of ecotourism.